People who regularly take care of the house and take care of its condition know how difficult it is to remove scratches on the floor. But don’t panic. We have some tips for you on how to repair the floor or at least hide the flaws.
Everyone wants their home to be perfect. However, it is not necessary to take radical measures and start repairing or replacing the parquet. You can easily remove scratches by following these steps.
Over time, the appearance of the floor deteriorates and various defects appear on it. Some of them arise due to the movement of furniture, while others we do without even realizing it. When? When we move a chair, let pets into the house, or walk around the house in shoes.
4 ways to repair scratches on the floor
1. Small scratches on the parquet
Parquet (hardwood floor) is very often scratched as soon as you install it. This floor has a very beautiful and refined look, but it needs special care. To get rid of surface scratches, you will need a special marker to restore the wood to the appropriate color. They are sold in most hardware stores. When you purchase a token, follow these steps:
- Remove dust and dirt by washing the area of the floor where you want to remove the scratch. Use a soft cloth soaked in water.
- Try the marker where it won’t be visible to make sure you’ve picked the right color.
- Paint over a scratch with a marker until it is the same color as the rest of the floor.
2. Small scratches on the laminate
Laminate is a cheaper alternative to wood flooring. It is quite easy to scratch. That is why you need to know how to deal with this problem. Here is one of the options:
- After thoroughly washing the area with scratches, paint them with a special marker to restore the floor. Such markers are usually included in the kit for cosmetic floor repair.
- Remove any wax residue and wipe the area with a damp cloth.
- Allow the floor to dry for 24 hours.
- Take some wood putty (also included) and fill in the scratch until it is level with the rest of the floor.
- Remove putty with a sponge or cloth.
3. Deep scratches on the parquet
In this case, the scratches on the floor are a little more serious. However, you can still partially improve the situation. To do this, you will need putty for wood color parquet. Then follow these steps:
- Wash the damaged area with a damp cloth. Rinse it and wash the floor again so that it is perfectly clean.
- If there is an additional layer of varnish on the floor, remove it by wiping the area with solvent. Then wipe the floor again with a damp cloth and let it dry.
- Apply a little wood putty on the parquet with your index finger and distribute it evenly over the damaged area. Don’t worry if you apply too much putty – it can be removed later.
- Leave the parquet to dry for at least a day.
If you do not want to use this method or are afraid to destroy the floor, you can always turn to a professional and he will do everything for you. However, do not worry, because this method of floor restoration is very simple.
4. Removal of scratches on granite
Laminate and parquet are used mainly in apartments, as well as in modern homes.
However, homeowners often face scratches on the granite. Previously, this material was an extremely popular option, because, with proper installation and care, it is very durable. Also, the granite floor creates an atmosphere of grandeur and sophistication.
But despite its durability, the granite coating is not insured against scratches. It can be damaged when moving furniture or by falling heavy objects. Unfortunately, in such cases, you will have to call a specialist.
However, if the scratches are shallow, they can be removed. Such damage often occurs on granite, so do not worry. If this is your case, try the following steps:
- As always, wash the damaged area with a damp cloth to remove any dirt. Allow the floor to dry.
- Apply the polishing paste on the scratch. Follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Polish the scratch with a special metal sponge with fine fibers. Start very slowly and polish for a few minutes.
- Check that the granite sealant retains its properties after polishing. If you apply a few drops on the surface and see that after a couple of minutes they have spread, it’s time to apply the sealant again.
Keeping the floor in good condition is not easy, because every little thing can damage it. However, you can do it. Just use our tips for removing scratches from parquet, laminate, or granite.
Picture Credit: Unsplash